Saturday 7 April 2012

TIME TAKES A CIGARETTE..........

With all the laws we now have regarding smoking it wasn't too long ago that smoking was something most people did. It was cool, trendy, a way of life for most people, a way to impress. I always remember lighting up on holiday with my parents in full veiw and waiting for their response, i was 15 ! They did not approve although Dad was a smoker and Mum was'nt. I thought i was so grown up as smoke exhaled from my lips. I gave up nearly eleven years ago, my only downfall was at the Isle of Wight festival where Bowie was performing. I was lets say worse for the wear and craved a cigarette. I approached a group of guys who were all smoking and asked if i could have one, they obliged, and i remember only smoking the cigarette halfway down then throwing it away, i felt guilty of having one. Not one has passed my lips since.
Back in the day when pubs were frequently visited and a drink in one hand, cigarette in another was the norm, they actually went hand in hand. My first cigarette was a Kensitas, my last a Rothmans. There have been many brands from Old Holborn and Golden Virginia roll ups to No 6, No 10, Piccadilly, Senior Service, Weights, Woodbine, Park Drive,Embassy,Benson & Hedges, More,Consulate,Peter Styvesant,Players,Lucky Strike,Kent and Gitanes. Now Gitanes came to light, excuse the pun, because of Mr Bowie, poking out from his waistcoat pocket on tour in 76, so there i was trying to play the part, inhaling as much of this strong French cigarette as i could but not really enjoying it at all. I have always loved the design of the packet, the artwork is iconic, i did read that the artist M.Ponty said that that the design started as a birds beak !

1 comment:

  1. Are you paying more than $5 / pack of cigarettes? I'm buying high quality cigarettes at Duty Free Depot and this saves me over 60% from cigarettes.

    ReplyDelete