Sunday 12 February 2012

MY FIRST BOWIE SHOWS - WEMBLEY EMPIRE POOL Tues 4th &Sat 6th May 1976

My first time, how excited was i ? Not only seeing Bowie but my first ever concert, i was 19. I got tickets from an agency in Cheapside. My mate's, DV & BN were joining me. On arrival at Wembley Park tube station i was so excited. I bought a bootleg programme and three badges, two displaying the concert and the other one being my all time fave Bowie Badge, The Man Who Fell To Earth. Once inside we headed for the merchandise stall and bought a Bowie On Stage T-shirt, a Bowielite and the official programme, Isolar. Sadly i no longer have the Bowielite or T-shirt. (which i saw on ebay a few weeks ago being sold for a huge sum of money).
We went inside the Arena, our seats were at the back facing the stage, who care's thou, i was here to witness the great man. Before the show begun a short film was shown titled Un Chien Andalou by Salvador Dali.
Then suddenly the lights went down, Stationtostation wailing guitars filled the arena, and on he strode, dressed in a black waistcoat,trousers & shoes, white shirt and a packet of Gitanes cigarettes poking out from the waistcoat pocket, i was numb.
When the gig finished i said to DV & BN i've got to go again. The next day back to cheapside, and i purchased a ticket for the last night, restricted veiw, thats all the agency had, that will do nicely. The long hot summer of 76 started in May and lasted to September, Britain basked in a heatwave, and it started on the Monday of  Bowie's five nights at the Pool.
Saturday arrived and i can still remember putting on my brown double breasted jacket, the three Bowie badges proudly pinned to my lapel, and Bowie On Stage T-Shirt underneath. I mingled outside with the rest of the Bowie fans untill the doors opened. My seat was on the side, restricted veiw ?  It was perfect, a fantastic veiw. I stared at Bowie and took in every note he sung, before these gigs i was hooked, now i was captured. Outside after the show i hung around with the rest of the fans and saw his Limo trying to get through the mass of fans that had gathered. Has the car approached i caught a glimpse of the great man, he was draped in a white towelling dressing gown, my jaw dropped. A fan jumped onto the of the roof of the car, the limo sped off into the North London night with the fan holding on. I shall never forget that image, i wonder how far he got.

No comments:

Post a Comment