Thursday 9 February 2012

REMEMBERING VICKY AKA JACKO

1960, 3 years old, hand in hand with my mum & dad walking in the aisles of Woolworths, looking up and seeing what seemed like hundreds of these toy monkey's hanging from the ceiling, i just wanted one. I named him Vicky.
Now Vicky went everywhere with me, i just loved him. Bus conductors used to hang him from the overhead handrails, holidays to Walton On The Naze, shopping trips and to Walters the garage in Ponders End, where he used to help my dad fill the cars with petrol, and of course would be my comfort when tucked up in bed. Our neighbour used to make tops and trousers for him whist mum would knit him cardigans. He ended up many years later after endless stitching of arms and the groin area with a Bowie Aladdin Sane lightening bolt magic marker face ! My daughter attached herself to him, and she loved him has much as i did. When my ex wife decided to leave taking my daughter and Vicky with her he was never to be seen by me again, this was back in 1984. 
Well last year by chance whilst browsing on ebay i found a Jacko, and upon bidding i eventually won him.
I told my wife i got him for my son, but she knew the truth, thou i wanted my son to have him and hopefully love him like i did at his age. When he arrived in a brown parcel i could not believe i had this toy. My son named him Vickytwo, and loves him to bits. 

No comments:

Post a Comment